Tuesday 18 September 2012

Weird Science


Good morning blog visitors, Kirsten here.  Hope I find you well, this sunny September morning.

Today's post relates to the monthly challenge.  Now, I don't know about you, but sometimes it takes me an age to come up with an idea.  When Lisa & I decided on the theme for this month - Back to School - I thought it was a great idea.  And then I sat down to make something.  That was over three weeks ago.  Nothing came to mind.  I worked on other stuff, including my own projects, hoping that inspiration would strike, still nothing.  Until last weekend, when I had a conversation with someone about the Mars Curiosity Rover, (I'm one of those people who goes out at night to wave at the International Space Station as it flies overhead) & I started thinking about a science teacher I used to know, who would have been a perfect candidate for the title of 'Nutty Professor' & I began to see a card in my mind.

Unfortunately, I forgot one of the recipe ingredients - a stamped image.  But as I'm not allowed to enter the challenge & my project is purely for inspirational purposes, (ahem), I hope you'll forgive me.  That's what happens when the Muse abandons you for someone else.

I LOVE all things Steampunk & this Kanban collection is full of great toppers, diecuts & patterned card.




Adding a couple of gears or washers is a great way to add embellishments & they can be coloured with Spectrum Noir alcohol pens to give a different look.





I cut the quote from Graphic 45's 'Quote, unquote' 12x12 kraft card, distressed it a little by crumpling it & smudging Vintage Photo & Walnut Stain distress inks over it.  The metal brads & baker's twine are another way of adding embellishments.







This patterned paper is Kanban's A4 Timeless card, I added the brad & watch hands to it.  When I put everything together the clock looked very flat, so I attached the adhesive pearls from Hobby House - there is a great selection of colours in this range.

The paper behind the topper is from a brown paper bag.  I tore it, blended distress inks over it, crumpled it until it was very soft & pliable, then added more distress inks.

The dark green, speckled paper is from a collection of 12x12 textured papers that Lisa brought to a few of the classes.  They are different colours; pastels, brights & dark & they all have great textures, some as in the picture, others are like snakeskin.  I don't now what kind of paper they're made from, it's very thin, but not at all flimsy.  They're not available on the website yet, but if you're interested, send Lisa an email via the contact page.

That's about enough of my rambling.  To see the card in its entirety, please visit the challenge page.  We seem to have stumped a lot of you this month, because as yet, no one has entered.  Please have a go, there's still plenty of time & you could win a rather nice prize.  All the details are on the challenge page.

Thanks for looking, take care.

Kirsten



1 comment:

We'd love to know what you think, so please feel free to leave a comment. Every one is greatly appreciated.