Thursday 25 October 2012

Take Flight

 
 
Hello everyone, it's Thursday already.  I hope your week is going well so far.  If you've been getting crafty, we'd love to see your projects, so why not post a link to your blog, Flickr or Photobucket site, in the comments below?
 
I felt the need to take a little break from the Christmas cards, but had no ideas, so I grabbed some Distress Stains & went from there.
 
For those of you who haven't used the stains before, they are liquid distress inks & the most basic thing you can do with them is cover a large surface in seconds.  And that surface can be plain paper, patterned paper, cardboard, kraft card, canvas & fabric.  I chose a piece of  thin canvas.
 
 


I covered the canvas in Tumbled Glass distress stain & dried with a heat tool.  You can use the stains on a dry or a wet surface - spritz the surface with water, apply the stain & dry thoroughly.  You will get a different finish with each method.







Next I applied the Dusty Concord stain through the stencil & dried the canvas.  The stain will stay wet on the stencil, so all you have to do is wipe it off with a cloth or paper towel.  If you forget & the stain dries, simply mist the stencil with water.  That reactivates the stain & you can wipe it off easily.



 
 
Here's the canvas after I die cut it.  I edged it with Dusty Concord distress ink - because distress inks are translucent you can use them on top of the stains.
 
 




When I was playing with the stains I got an idea for a little wall hanging.  I cut a square of mountboard for the base & stamped a Kanban flourish around the edge, applied gold embossing powder & heat set.




I seldom use glitter on my projects - it's even messier than gilding flakes - but I wanted to add some bling to the bird & the cage & I thought this blue glitter went with the background.  I used the same flourish stamp & gold EP on the bird & blended Walnut Stain DI to colour it.  I embossed the cage with a crackle embossing folder & used Rusty Hinge DI on top.

Quickie glue pens are perfect for detail work & I let it go tacky before sprinkling the glitter on top.  It was very tempting to start brushing off the excess glitter immediately, but I was patient & waited for the glue to dry.




The flowers are die cut scallops of core'dinations card, wrapped tightly around a brad, then unfurled.




And here's the finished piece.  I didn't have buttons in the colour I wanted, so I used a Spectrum Noir pen.  Sorry for the poor photo, the light is terrible this week, we haven't had even a minute of sunshine.


Distress Stain Dusky Concord  Distress Stain Tumbled Glass  Dusky Concord Distress Ink Pad  Rusty Hinge Distress Ink Pad  Walnut Stain Distress Ink Pad  Bird Cage and Birds    Embossing Folder - Brick  STAMP07 Script  2mm Bakers Twine - Blue Iris & Ivory  Hobby House Adhesive Rhinestones Peach   Spectrum Noir 6 Pen Set - Blues


Thanks for visiting the blog.  If you're attending the Hobbycrafts show at the SECC in Glasgow, stop by the J & C Creations stand, where Lisa is demonstrating & say hello.

Until next time, take care.

Kirsten





1 comment:

  1. This is fantastic I love the bird and the colours are gorgeous. Caroline xxx

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to know what you think, so please feel free to leave a comment. Every one is greatly appreciated.