Wednesday 15 May 2013

Pretty Pocket Watch

Hello & happy Wednesday, Kirsten here with my weekly blog post.  Sorry it’s later than I intended, I’ve only just finished this project.  I have turned this post into a little photo tutorial.  The tag tutorial I showed you last week seems to have been quite popular, so Lisa & I thought that maybe I will try to do one each week.

This week I used the the pocket watches from Studio 490 by Wendy Vecchi.  I love Wendy’s work, she creates the most gorgeous embellishments, which can be inked & painted & altered.  She has a terrific stamp range too.  If her name is new to you, I recommend a visit to her blog; http://studio490art.blogspot.co.uk/

You’ll find pictures & links to everything I used at the end of this post.

2013-05-14 001 2013-05-14 004

This is what the watches look like.  They are made of layers of a kraft coloured material, very light, very sturdy & they can be inked, painted, stamped onto, anything you like almost.  Before you do anything with them, I recommend you wipe around the edges with a piece of paper towel, or a soft cloth, to remove the dusty residue caused by the manufacturing process.

2013-05-14 001 2013-05-14 002


I painted mine firstly with a thin layer of Ranger's Snow Cap acrylic paint, this seals your substrate & provides a base for the paint layers to follow.  You could also use gesso.  Then I added three or four thing layers of Ranger’s Shell Pink paint dabber, making sure to dry in between each layer.

I attached a scrap of Graphic 45’s  paper to the base & left it aside to dry.

I put a tiny amount of Indigo Blu’s Flitter Glue on a piece of cut & dry foam & gently tapped it onto the top of the pocket watch, making sure it went on a few areas only, to get a patchy effect.  Then I added the Chariot of Fire gilding flakes on top, pressing them firmly on, then rubbing off the excess.  That done, I set that aside too.

2013-05-14 001 2013-05-14 001

I stamped the quote, (from an Indigo Blu set of the same name) onto shrink plastic, die cut a large circle & used my heat tool to shrink it.  I covered a scrap of white card with Old Paper distress ink & glued it to the back of the plastic.

2013-05-14 001 2013-05-14 005


Now it’s time to put everything together.  I used Cosmic Shimmer glue on everything in this project, except for the brad.  I painted that with the Shell Pink paint, cut off the legs & attached it with silicon glue.


2013-05-14 001 2013-05-14 011


To make sure the two pieces were stuck together I pressed down firmly on them with an acrylic block, then wiped off any excess glue that seeped through.  When it was dry, I painted a few more layers of paint around the outside.  This gives an extra seal & stops the patterned paper being too noticeable.


2013-05-14 001 2013-05-14 009


I didn’t want a lot of embellishments, but I like these little birds & branches from Tando Creative.  So I painted them with Ranger’s Aqua & Willow paint dabbers, coloured the bird's beak with  black Spectrum Noir pen & gave him a black adhesive pearl for an eye.  When both pieces were dry I went over them with my distress ink blending tools, adding a little blue & green.


2013-05-14 001 2013-05-14 003


I added a few Petaloo flowers & here it is, finished.  I haven’t decided what I’ll do with it yet.  It could be a topper on a card, or on another altered piece, or I might add a chain or ribbon so that it can hang somewhere.

2013-05-14 001 2013-05-14 012


Art Parts - Pocket Watches  Mini pack of Birds and Branches  Acrylic Dabber Lights Aqua  Acrylic Dabber Lights Shell Pink  Acrylic Dabber Lights Snow Cap  Acrylic Dabber Lights Willow Picture Perfect 12" x 12" paper  Flitter Glue  Mega-flake Chariot of Fire  Indigo Blu Discover your Passion Rubber Stamp  Darjeeling Hydrangea - Bl  Peeled Paint Distress Ink Pad  Forest Moss Distress Ink Pad  Spectrum Noir Pens
Regarding the Indigo Blu stamp set, there is only one available on the website at present, but Lisa has ordered more, so they'll be available very soon.

That's all from me for now, thanks for looking.  A quick reminder about the blog challenge, we've had quite a few entries so far, but there's always room for more.  And also take a look at the What's New section on the website, Lisa has added a lot of new products in the last few days.

Until next time, happy crafting.

Kirsten.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful project Kirst, I love it!
    Inspires me and makes me want to make one,lol!
    Hugs Lisa.B.x

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to know what you think, so please feel free to leave a comment. Every one is greatly appreciated.