Friday 9 January 2015

CAS Watercolour

 
*This post is part of the January promotion fortnight. Remember to leave a comment to be entered
 
A good Friday morning to one & all, Kirsten here. I hope the first week of 2015 has been kind to you. Thank you for all the kind comments on my Tuesday post. Today I have a few more CAS cards to show you, but this time there is a little more to them.
 
I remembered that Versacolor inks react with water, so I decided to try making a watercolour background.......
 
I smeared three colours of ink onto an acrylic block & spritzed them with water, until I could see the ink begin to blend together............
 
 
 
Then I laid a piece of cardstock on top & gently pressed my fingers into it, moving all over the card until I could feel the edges of the acrylic block underneath - I found that I got a nicer result this way, rather than by rubbing the cardstock.........
 
I carefully lifted off the cardstock & let it dry............
 
 
 
I stamped the large flower & the 'with thanks' from Hobby Art's Anna's Collection - Just For You stamp set with Black Versacolor & added a few adhesive pearls to finish each card.
 
On this card the inks I used were
Sky Blue, Ash Rose & Peony.......
 
 
 
           Evergreen, Ash Rose & Heliotrope on this card & quite a lot more water.
 I also used a slightly bigger acrylic block...........
 
 
 
 
 
On this card the inks are Grape, Boysenberry & Heliotrope & I used less water, so there is less of a watercolour appearance. But there's still a nice blended appearance................
 
 
 
 
I used a sentiment from my stash for this card for myself, the inks are Cyan, Split Pea & Boysenberry................
 
 
This is a technique you can do with any ink that reacts with water, for example Adirondack inks. (40% off on the website at present), or Distress inks, (the smaller ones would be very easy to use for this technique). 
 
The thing to remember to remember with Versacolor inks is that they have a much thicker consistency & their reaction to water is slightly slower.
If you spray a lot of water on too quickly the inks will just run off the acrylic block, but if you wait a few seconds between spritzes you will see the reaction happening & can judge more easily how much more water is required, or not.
 
I hope you like this technique & if you haven't tried it for yourself, give it a go. I've got a lot more ideas for projects using it, it's quick, easy & looks very effective.
 
 
Anna's Collection - Just For You   Versacolor Ash Rose   Versacolor Boysenberry  Versacolor Black   Versacolor Cyan   Versacolor Evergreen   Versacolor Grape  Versacolor Heliotrope   Versacolor Peony   Versacolor Sky Blue   Versacolor Split Pea 
 
Don't forget to comment & if you haven't visited the MEGA SALE page on the website, please take a look. More items, including embossing folders were added yesterday.
 
Until next time, happy crafting.
 
Kirsten

7 comments:

  1. You've inspired me. Love the effect. Just wondering if I could do this with students at school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried this and love the effect. Definitely another technique for the list! Thank you, Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only I have never tried the acrylic block technique but I never thought it would work equally well with pigment ink! I can see you enjoyed that one Kirsten, it's great for mass production!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great idea, thanks for the inspiration Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great technique , really like the backgrounds, I will have a go at this over the weekend, thanks, lovely cards.xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. A simply way to make different background s

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous backgrounds! You've inspired me to have a go at this technique. xx

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to know what you think, so please feel free to leave a comment. Every one is greatly appreciated.