Friday 10 April 2015

Brusho and Stampendous Butterfly Charms



 After the Easter break we're at the end of the short working week...
You'll probably know by now clocks are my thing! Lol
I find it particularly easy to design these little time pieces and very enjoyable too.
So I've done a mini tutorial for you today to show you my thought process and each stage.

I'm a big fan of Stampendous stamps and this Butterfly Charms clear set is no exception.
I also wanted to show you how I've used just one colour of Brusho
this one being Light Brown.

I start by die cutting a circle, this one is 12cm, and making a hole 
big enough for the clock mechanism in the center.
I use a good quality stamping card or watercolour card.


I nearly always sketch or plan my designs on copy paper,
this saves wastage and is good for future reference.
This also means I can work out the positioning of any digits I want to add
and planning the overall composition.


Before begining my stamping I marked lightly with a pencil where the main 12, 3, 6 and 9 digits would sit.
The butterflies can then be positiioned correctly.
Next I stamped my design in Black Onyx Versafine.
When I stamped the butterflies I clear embossed them too.


Now the reason I chose just one colour of Brusho was to highlight that there are many other colours contained within some of the individual colour pots.
These little pots are highly pigmented and I have used only the tiniest amount.
The brown is no exception and the colours within this pot work
 particularly well with this vintage feel I was trying to achieve.
 

Before starting to add the colour I masked off the postage mark and postcard area, 
this gives more interest to the finished piece.
I sprinkled the smallest amount of crystal on the areas I wanted to colour, 
mainly the center and in between the butterflies.
Then I spritzed with a fine mist spray to disperse the colour.
I added the colour very sparingly and built up to my desired affect by drying with a heat tool in between each application and repeating three times.
You need to dry between applications otherwise the card gets too wet and the colours all just run together.
As I'd embossed the butterflies the Brusho sat around the outer edges creating nice interest.
I didn't want to colour the butterflies.


Once I'd removed the masks I then applied a tiny amount of Brusho just around the outside circle edge of the postcard section.


Using a Versamark watermark pen and clear embossing powder I further embossed the whole of the butterflies another couple of times to make them really glossy and stand out from the rest of the design.
I also outlined them with a pale grey alcohol pen.

Now I usually mount my clock discs onto a CD but for this I used greyboard
 again die cut from the same size die.
The circles can then be glued together and I sponged the edges with 


Finally I assembeld my clock with the mechanism and hands.


If you have any questions about the clocks please just ask Lisa or myself.

Hope you found this tutorial useful and like my little vintage design.
Enjoy your day and the weekend ahead.
Thanks so much for reading today.
Crafty Hugs xKx

Butterfly Charms  Brusho Crystal Colours - Singles  VersaFine Ink pad - Onyx Black WOODWARE SPRAY BOTTLES - PACK OF 2  
Versamark Pen   WA01 Clear Gloss Vintage Photo Distress Ink Pad


8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful clock Karen, super step by step, love it. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the step- by-step. The clock looks really good and I'm going to have to have a go! Thank you, Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Jan, please let me know how you get on...xx

      Delete
  3. You've done an incredible job controlling the uncontrollable! I like the design.
    I haven't actually tried the browns yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Craftyfield, it's interesting to try all the different colours and the way they can be applied...xx

      Delete
  4. Such a clever lady and what a fabulous result! Really hope you're feeling 100% very soon xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow. lovely Karen. cool brusho effect. thanks for sharing the entire process xx

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to know what you think, so please feel free to leave a comment. Every one is greatly appreciated.